Skip to main content
Got a tip?

Latest Business News

That Was My Idea! How Hollywood Is Avoiding Story Theft Claims

A ragtag group of misfits, each with their own unique skill, bands together to pull off a high-stakes con. Depending on your preferences and streaming subscriptions, the film that comes to mind could be the 1955 classic Rififi, this year’s DreamWorks animated comedy The Bad Guys or any of the dozens of other heist movies […]

Electric Entertainment Secures $100M Loan to Bolster Film and TV Slate

Electric Entertainment, the production company behind programming such as Leverage: Redemption and Almost Paradise on Amazon’s Freevee, said Thursday that it closed a $100 million loan credit facility with the Bank of America. The company will first use the five-year financing on its slate of programming, which also includes The Ark on the SYFY Channel. […]

Endeavor, Buoyed by Live Events and Sports, Posts $1.3B in Revenue

Endeavor, continuing to benefit from the return of “full capacity” live events, brought in $1.3 billion revenue and $42.2 million in net income during the second quarter. The sports and representation firm also stated that it intends to repay $250 million of debt by the end of the third quarter of this year. Adjusted EBITDA […]

California Man Indicted in Alleged Scheme Using Name of ‘I Love Lucy’ Production Company to Trick Investors

A California man has some ‘splaining to do. Federal prosecutors have charged Charles Hensley with nearly a dozen counts of wire fraud and allege he swindled investors by falsely claiming to be with Desilu, the production company behind I Love Lucy and the original Star Trek. Hensley ensnared a Los Angeles animation studio and postproduction […]

Kevin Hart’s Hartbeat Hires Exec to Lead Branded Content

Kevin Hart’s new venture Hartbeat has added former Disney executive Brian C. Price to its team.  Price will lead PULSE, Hartbeat’s branded content and entertainment studio, as senior vice president, head of branded content and creative partnerships. Candisse Williamson, former general counsel at Skybound Entertainment and a vice president at the Madison Square Garden Company, […]

Cineplex Posts First Pandemic-Era Profit on ‘Top Gun,’ ‘Doctor Strange’ Box Office

Cineplex has turned its first profit since the pandemic started on the strength of rebounding box office in the second quarter from Top Gun: Maverick, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Jurassic World Dominion and Elvis. Cineplex saw net income swing to $1.3 million in the three months to June 30, against a year-earlier […]

Meek Mill Signs With WME

Rapper Meek Mill has struck a partnership with talent agency WME. The deal will see WME represent Mill in all areas, while the agency also helps support his network of artists, athletes, and entertainers in the brand and business space as part of his Culture Currency initiative. After Mill parted ways with Jay-Z’s Roc Nation […]

Wall Street Bullish on Disney, With a Note of Caution

It has been a tough earnings season for Netflix and such Hollywood giants as Comcast/NBCUniversal and Warner Bros. Discovery as their streaming businesses have hit growth walls. Disney, however, lived up to its Magic Kingdom moniker, with Disney+ beating Wall Street estimates to add 14.4 million subscribers during its third fiscal quarter to reach 152.1 […]

Crackle Owner Chicken Soup for the Soul Closes $375M Deal for Redbox

Crackle streaming service owner Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment has completed its acquisiton of DVD-focused entertainment firm Redbox to expand its footprint in free ad-supported streaming video. The deal, which will give Chicken Soup stockholders a 76.5 percent ownership of the combined company and Redbox stockholders the remaining 23.5 percent, is the result of […]

Studios Respond to Showrunners’ Letter Demanding Abortion-Access Protocols

As requested, the studios have issued a written response to the letter signed by 411 female showrunners (and co-signed by nearly 1,000 additional directors and male showrunners) asking them to step in and help ensure access to legal abortions in the wake of the Supreme Court’s overturn of Roe v. Wade. “We share your concerns […]

Disney CEO Alludes to Loss of Big Ten As “Not Limiting” for ESPN

After the news that ESPN has pulled out Big Ten talks, Disney CEO Bob Chapek said the company has enough sports coverage to hold on to its viewership. “If you look at the college sports, we’ve got the SEC, we’ve got the ACC, we’ve got the PAC 12, we’ve got the Big 12, we’ve got […]

“The Oprah Effect”: Harpo Sues Oprahdemics Podcast for Using Her Famous Name Without a License

Oprah Winfrey is so famous that she’s on a first-name basis with people across the globe — and many people recognize her brand by just the first letter. Harpo Inc., which owns her trademarks, carefully vets any licensing opportunity. Now it’s taking a podcasting duo to court over what it says is an unauthorized attempt […]